After exam scores came out, I received an email from one of our members who passed the NCIDQ Exam, (Yay, Maggie!).
Her question is:
“Could you help explain what the NCIDQ ‘appellation agreement’ is?”
When you use the letters NCIDQ after your name, you're using it as an “appellation”.
For example: Lisa League, NCIDQ
vs. listing your certificate number
NCIDQ Certificate #26860
Once you sign the appellation agreement, you have the right to use “NCIDQ” after your name once you meet certain requirements.NCIDQ is one of the ways you can distinguish yourself as a professional interior designer.Click To Tweet
The NCIDQ appellation requirements are summarized below:
You must pay a fee currently $75 USD as of July 2019, renewed annually
You agree to CIDQ's terms and conditions, a legal agreement which spells out the following requirements:
- You follow CIDQ's Code of Ethics, which basically says that you abide by licensing regulations in your state
- You maintain professional behavior, including but not limited to:
- you don't bribe
- you don't mislead
- you don't engage in fraud
- you don't have conflicts of interest
- you don't participate in any other illegal conduct
- and you maintain the health safety and welfare of the public
- You are personally responsible for your projects and contractual obligations and respect other designer's contractual obligations, including confidentiality
- You don't damage another designer's reputation or business
- you don't plagiarize
- you don't endorse another designer that you know is not qualified
- you don't engage in any other conflicts of interest
You take the equivalent of .6 Continuing Education Units or 6 1-hour CEUs each year, tracked in IDCEC.
You can easily meet these continuing education requirements by maintaining your state's licensing or certification CEU requirements, your professional association requirements, or taking a class or two to keep your skills and knowledge up to speed.
In other words, you're going to behave as the professional you already are, take continuing education, and pay a nominal annual fee.
Just login to your MyNCIDQ account and take care of this right away!
After all that hard work you put in studying for and passing the exam, this part is easy 🙂